CITRUS FENNEL SALAD
This bright, fresh salad is one the easiest things you'll ever make and it has so many variations. Don't be confined by this recipe, let this serve as a base and customize to your own liking, experimenting with seasonings and toppings. I love this as part of a Sunday afternoon roast or with any simply seasoned bbq fish or meat in the summer. The brightness of the citrus and herbaceous licorice flavor of the fennel balance out richness of almost any meat dish & the beauty of the plate adds stunning colour to any table.
YEILD - 6 to 8 servings
PREP TIME - 30 minutes
An assortment of citrus, totaling about 3 pounds, before peeled. I recommend:
- 2 ruby red grapefruits
- 2 mandarin oranges
- 2 blood oranges
2 large, fennel bulbs
Very good EVOO
Salt & Cracked Pepper
1. Remove tops and core from the fennel bulbs and slice thinly. Add to bowl and set aside.
2. Remove peels & pith from the citrus and slice into wheels. Reserve any juice from this process and drizzle over the fennel.
3. Drizzle about a teaspoon of very good EVOO over the fennel and season with a small amount of salt.
4. Arrange the fennel evenly across a medium to large platter then layer the orange slices over top. I like to move from 1 citrus to another, creating a bit a pattern or ombre effect.
5. Drizzle with a bit more EVOO, salt and cracked pepper to taste.
Top with slices of avocado, cucumber, sprigs of mint, chives, shallots, shelled pistachios, pumpkin seeds or even cooked seafood.