My dear friend Rachelle LOVES Strawberry Shortcake & I LOVE Crepe Cakes so when we were getting together for a dessert date, I thought I'd try to combine both of our faves.
Strawberries & Cream Crepe Cake
YIELD: 8 - 10 servings
PREP TIME: 1 hour
2 cups milk
3 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 litre whipping cream
2 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
1 jar Bonne Maman Strawberry jam
4 - 8 Strawberries
1. Add all ingredients to blender and mix until smooth.
2. Let rest in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight.
3. Heat a medium size, non-stick pan over medium heat. Add a pat of butter, moving it around with spatula to cover the bottom of the pan. Add 1 small ladle of batter or enough to lightly coat the bottom of the pan, swirling the pan to make sure the batter distributes evenly.
4. Sauté about 30 seconds per side & transfer to a clean, cool surface. Allow each crepe to cool before layering.
1. Place mixing bowl and wire whisk attachments in the freezer to chill for 20 - 30 minutes.
2. Remove chilled bowl from fridge or freezer. Add whipping cream and vanilla bean paste. Whip on low for 1 minute, and then turn mixer speed up to high, stop when cream stiffens and peaks start to form.
CAKE LAYERING METHOD
1. Place first crepe layer on a serving platter or cake stand & spread a thin layer on Bonne Maman Jam. Layer next crepe and spread a thin layer of vanilla bean whipped cream.
2. Repeat till you reach the top.
3. For the top layer, spread a thin layer of jam, edge to edge then the final layer of vanilla bean cream, starting at the middle working out, leaving a the jam covered edges exposed.
4. Garnish with sliced strawberries and store in fridge for 1 hour or until ready to serve (within 12 hours)